Friday, September 16, 2011

~Tyra Goins-Smith~

Friends may think we have forgotten

When at times they see us smile,

Little do they know the heartache

That our minds work to reconcile,

Beautiful memories are wonderful

They get us through the toughest days,

They never wear out nor do they dim

And they can never be given away,

To some you may be forgotten

To others a part of their past

But to your family that dearly loves you

Your memory will always last!


















When the kids asked why they were getting ready and where we were going I told them, "a balloon launch for Aunt Tyra!" Courtney said excitedly, "we get to have a birthday party for Aunt Tyra!!?" I said "no, remember, she went to Heaven!" she was a little confused, still stuck on not a having a party since they had the balloons??? I said, "you know what, it is kind of a celebration because she beat us all to Heaven and is having a party there with Jesus!" She was content with that, so we left it there!





I have never seen so many people at a viewing in my life....almost 700 people! That spoke in itself! It was/is amazing to me the amount of people that showed up for support, whether it was something like the Balloon Launch or people wanting to help with things or bring food and or supplies to help during this time. I saw God's people pull together and be supportive. It was encouraging to see!




















This is a song I have wanted to learn for Mother's Day at church since I first heard it! Now there is all the more reason too! When they played this at Tyra's funeral, I thought it was the perfect song! Her kids were definitely her top priority! I think that is a big reason why my kids absolutely loved their "Aunt Tyra"! She always hugged them, told them she loved them, invited them over, asked how their day was going, and took time for them, that is a big thing for little ones, because everyone is too busy and then a tragedy like this puts it all into focus. She was never too busy for my kids! She was the most patient woman I had ever seen with kids. I always thought she would be an awesome grandma! It broke my heart telling my kids that Aunt Tyra was gone. I explained to them, with all four wrapped around me and tears running down our cheeks,that she was in Heaven with Jesus and that having Jesus in our hearts was important,etc. I wished there was some way I wouldn't have to tell them, but given the fact that we live about 2 blocks from their house and every Sunday on the way to church they are arguing over who is gonna sit with her, let alone asking almost daily to go to Tyra's house to play or to go swim with her again or want to have them over for supper again, etc. There was no way around it. It was the hardest thing I think I have had to tell my kids, and I can honestly say this has been the hardest thing I have gone through/dealt with myself. I have been an absolute mess, very emotional, confused and irritable, much to my husbands dismay! :o) But He has been so understanding and loving as he is dealing with it his own way, not quite like females do! :o)

The last thing I did with Tyra was sit on her couch and fold laundry with her and talk about life, doing the right thing and making it to Heaven. That was 2 days before she went to be with Jesus. And I have no doubt that she, spiritually speaking, was ready to go!

On a humorous note, when we have hot dogs for anything and I insist that they have to be beef and nothing but beef....I got that from her!

She is the reason I spend $3.50 0r more on a little package of beef hot dogs! And if I have to I will bring my own package to a hot dog roast! :o)


Nichole told us on the way home from church last Sunday night that she missed Aunt Tyra. I assured her that we would be able to see her again someday in Heaven!






5 comments:

  1. Ah, Alicia...I'm glad you wrote this. Thanks for sharing your pain, your joy of being Tyra's friend, and expressing what many of us feel. It has been tough. Just treasure the memories, love your family dearly and hold on to Jesus. Take it one moment, one day at a time. It's all we can do. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia, I didn't know Tyra that well. But just from the short time that I worked as Ashley's para at the Bible school, I was able to see a small glimpse of what an amazing woman she was.
    You shared about her life so beautifully! Praying that God's presence is near you in the coming days, weeks, and months!
    -Martha D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((Hugs))) I'm still praying for you! I'm glad you have those memories to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i knew her like a mom. I miss you and i will see you agian in heaven tyra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a little girl when tyra came into my familys life in missouri. She was such a safe place for us and when she moved we lost contact. During a recent church revival was when we first learned of this tragedy. My heart breaks, but its amazing yet not the least surprising to see how loved she was. Even as a small child, she had an impact on my life. She was never forgotten and a big part of familys memories from years ago.

    ReplyDelete